Sunday 24 February 2008

At a show - at last!

Well we went on the long journey up to Newton Heath show on Friday night. I decided just to take one pup up with me and that was Draco. Halo had come up with Ruby to Andy's on Thursday night, so she got to play with her sister Qui in the puppy creche. Ruby trained hard on Thursday and I put a lot of effort into it- and despite me desperately trying to maim myself by running into stuff we worked well as a partnership and she is back to full fitness now , and was full of beans bouncing all around and battering my midriff at every opportunity, puck didn't train as I felt he was still too sore form his pad injury.
Any way Draco came with me , and what a little darling he was, slept all the way up, had his supper, a quick run about , a pee and a poo and into the travelodge we went, we went and met up with the Cavill's and Tracy Bennett, and I polished off the best part of a bottle of wine ( I am no drinker!) But after having been told off by Spice ( Rosie's working cocker) Draco settled down to some pampering from m myself and Tracy. Up to the room he jumped up on the sofa and slept the whole night through! I got up had a shower, came out of it and there he was sitting patiently for me, quick check and no pees or poos! I was so proud of him- remember he lives outside and has never spent the night with his dad!
He loved the show and all the admiring people telling him how different and handsome he is/was, he met bro's Kaiser and Flash and had a play with both of them, slept all the way back home - what a great wee chap!
As for the results from the show, well it got off for a great start for Martin Cavill and dylan his cocker spaniel, by winning his calss and winning into grade 7- so pleased for them. Puck ran first in his first ever grade 6 class, it was a belter of a jumping class judged by Fiona Hulse, and would be fast and furious and a chance for him to stretch out his legs. Well he knock jump 3 down as i'd slightly pushed him wide, but then he opened up and powered round the course, I tried to turn him out of the wrong end of a tunnel, but he jumps so long at times, he actually ended up in the tunnel and an E! But it was great fun!
Ruby then in the agility, lovely contacts for her ( no dog walk though) but we got caught out by a jump she ignored to go in a tunnel, so another E! But she enjoyed herself. Straight over to do her jumping- ( only 2 runs at this show) another fast Fiona course, but as we've got the speed just now we've to regain the control, so 4 or 5 wide turns ( 2 Very wide) so ultimately it cost us the prize, but still ended up in 3rd, so I was very pleased for her first show since September.
Now Puck in the agility, lovely contacts ( excellent ups on the A frame - that hoop is working) but I over-cooked him looking for a tight turn and pulled him off the jump ( a good boy0 ) Over the next jump and another E, but he was great fun to run around and in the main was listening to me!
Crufts next so maybe I should run amber for the first time since Olympia, and iron out Ruby's turns and contacts- and then FUN !
Isn't diesel expensive- and entering shows at this time of year!

4 comments:

Johanna said...

Oooh I love your kelpies!!!! I think we were team mates at the KC Festival - our team was far from brilliat HA HA HA :o) Which day will you be competing at Crufts?

Mark said...

Yes we were! But at least we had fun!I'll be competing on the Friday with Amber my Australian shepherd dog in the ABC (Anything But Collie) class, and then the BIG one the Crufts championship class on the Sunday.

Lorna said...

Nice to see you out from your winter hibernation!

Well Done Ruby :)

What a good Boy little Draco was - Kaiser has stayed in a BnB at a pub and he was in a crate!

Lorna and Kaiser xx

Karen said...

NICE NEW BLOG LAYOUT SO HOW DID YOU GET YOUR STUFF IN THE MIDDLE ??? I MANAGED TO CHANGE MINE BUT I CANT CONSIDATE THE STUFF IN THE MIDDLE .......THIS HTML LARK IS DRIVING ME MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDD KAREN