Sunday 16 March 2008

man flu and it's consequences

Well the grand events of Cruft's came and went, and I'm sure I missed it in a blur, or is that wishful thinking?
Come the Friday and the ABC event I started to feel a bit queesy, I put this down to nerves. It was a struggle to run amber round the courses, nice courses they were too! She ran quite well, not full on as she can do when an audience is there, but at 08.30 in the morning there was no audience worth speaking about! She must've picked up on dad not being too well and stayed 'close to home', a pole unusually down in the agility was followed in the afternoon by an aberrant move by myself in the jumping- a blind turn- suitably punished by amber, as she ran past the next jump!!
Saturday was spent mainly on the sofa with a headache, which I put down to the weather! Beryl had a starring role on the TV by doing what she does best- sitting still!!Apparently the Beeb phoned marie in the week to say thanks for letting them show beryl and that they would be sending a DVD of her time on the sofa, and may be in touch in the future as she was such a good dog!
Up early on the Sunday and away to Cruft's and feeling vacant! What happened to the nerves and anticipation, to be honest I turned up physically for the event, but by no means mentally! I walked the jumping course, and was really peed off that the tricky bit got so glued up, but thought we'd do it a certain way, but knowing ruby's right turn issues just now, I tried to walk it 2 ways!
Off she started, and at the tricky bit where she should be landing and turning right, I could feel her peeling off to the left, so it was on to plan B ( I originally wanted her to take obstacles 6,7,8,9 the same way Mandy took them, but rapidly reverted to plan B - the way everyone else took the course, still i could feel her peeling to the left when she needed to go right, come the jump after the collapsible and she was again off to the left so a big (panicky) shout "right" resulted in a pole down! By now I was pissed with her turns so I worked it a bit better, even though it looked like she was going to miss the long jump! I could feel her powering down and getting nowhere!
So 5 faults ( all I had last year!) And faced with the agility, and as someone pointed out to me I walked the course in a trance!It was trappy and technical, but i thought I liked it! Then I watched the small dogs go and I thought- they're going over jumps I walked the other way! Not a confidence booster! I'd walked a tougher course!
But we were undone by our (one of many ) weaknesses, having to put her onto the dog walk, catch up with her and tell her to get it (contact) Well nothing at all was uttered by me to tell her anything and she pinged the contact, the next second was spent berating myself for not saying anything and off she sailed over the wrong jump- Crufts over! Need to go home!!
Now I know what was wrong I'd got the flu, I've struggled with sinusitis, blocked nose, head splitting headaches, aches, pains and fevers all week, only today abating slightly enough to write this!
There's always again next year! no points chasing this year ( I don't do enough shows to justify competing for this) but lots to go for Ruby deserves a run out at Olympia - so that is our main objective- any which way!
Not disappointed by Crufts Just dismayed that my body let ruby down at the crucial time!



It looks like we may at last have a forever home for Molly, fingers crossed, she may meet her potential owners at dashin dogs and be on her way from there, she needs the 1-1 attention.
And yes at last competing season gets underway this weekend, Amber is consigned to ABC's this year mainly, courses seem to suit her ( OR MY FRAME OF MIND!)
Ruby needs 'culturing' and bonding with dad in a competitive setting, and a better contact method.
Puck I think I'm excited with this season, not as consistent as his mum, but gives 100% commitment all the time and I look forward to testing him out on courses he has been groomed for, he won out last September and this weekend will be his first serious attempt at grade 6, so look out he'll either be phenomenal or disasterous ( with a huge pinch how did he do that!!) He is a work in progress and he's shaping up nicely!

0 comments: